Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What this blog won't be

I can perhaps make few promises to the rest of the world, but I'll take this as an opportunity to do so. This blog won't be endless boring drivel about my bike or triathlon training routine.

I bring this up because race season is upon us. Bloggers all across the web are droning on about their nervous preparations. My first event is in about a month. I'm excited, I feel like I'm barely ready, and I'm sure I'll post about it once or twice on here. However, I don't plan on rambling for pages about how my heart rate jumped by half a point during the second leg of a 6 hour brick this morning. I don't DO 6 hour bricks. I also don't like reading about them. If that's what you're interested in, then look elsewhere.

I am confident in my abilities, but I'm also fully aware that I am not able to dedicate the time and effort that others are. I am certainly not as gifted as other athletes. This leaves me solidly in the middle of the pack in nearly every event I enter, which is something that I'm OK with. The only time I've ever won age group or received any other sort of recognition has been when I was in an age group that had pathetically low participation in a given event.

I guess what it boils down to is that I train for and participate in official events as a means to enjoy cycling, not the other way around.

So, a question for my devoted fan base (HA!): Do you participate in athletic competitions? What is your motivation?

PS - Stay tuned if you're interested in triathlon. I've managed to score something big that I'm sure you'll all be interested in.

No comments: